Apple pie is one of those things I find myself craving more often than I care to admit. But can you blame me? I mean, is there a recipe more American (or more delicious) than apple pie? I certainly can’t think of one. I promise you’re going to love this raw spin on a classic dessert. It’s one of my favorite recipes to introduce to new and non raw foodists alike. I’m telling you, this is the perfect raw dessert to make for any occasion. It’s so gooey and delicious, I swear it tastes just like real, baked apple pie! And did I mention that it’s naturally gluten free? This raw apple pie recipe tastes so amazing on its own, but if you really want to bring it to the next level, serve it with a scoop of vanilla flavored banana nice cream.
This recipe tastes so sinfully sweet, you’re not going to believe that there’s no added sugar! All of the sweetness comes from fruit. Almonds and walnuts combine with dates to create a raw pie crust that is to die for. Blending dates with a pinch of salt brings out their innate caramel flavor for the pie’s filling. Altogether, this raw apple pie is a delectable way to indulge in some of the sweetest gifts nature has to offer.
Raw Apple Pie
- In a food processor or blender, pulse together walnuts and almonds until they become a flour.
- Add about 3 pitted dates and a pinch of salt and blend until a sticky dough forms. Add more dates if necessary.
- Press the sticky dough into a small tart pan. Save leftover dough to sprinkle on top of the pie like streusel.
- Put the crust in the freezer to firm up while you make the filling.
- Soak about 5 pitted dates in filtered water for at least 30 minutes. The longer they soak, the easier they will be to blend.
- Finely dice the apple and toss with lemon juice in a bowl to coat the pieces.
- Add soaked dates and around 5 tbsp of the water (more if needed) to a blender along with cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Blend until a smooth, sticky sauce forms and combine with diced apple.
- Spoon filling into crust and sprinkle leftover "streusel" on top.