This raw caramel brownie sundae recipe is so satisfying, it will cure even the strongest sweet tooth. Rich, dark chocolate raw brownies, made from satiating nuts and seeds, and naturally sweet fruits come together to create this indulgent yet healthy dessert. Each of these classic raw food treats are delicious on their own, but I think combining them in this recipe really takes everything to that next level of yum.
So what are the health benefits of these ingredients?
Buckwheat – Buckwheat helps lower cholesterol and improve blood pressure and heart health, aids in digestion, and helps manage blood sugar. It’s packed with healthy fiber, and it contains lots of antioxidants to fight disease and signs of aging. It’s also a great source of B vitamins, manganese, magnesium, copper, and folate.
Almonds – Almonds are packed with protein, vitamins, and nutrients. They’re loaded with antioxidants. They can help control blood sugar and blood pressure and manage cholesterol, which are all good things for your heart. They may also help you lose weight.
Coconut Flour – Coconut flour is high in protein, fiber, and healthy fats. It contains very little sugar and is low in calories. It aids metabolism and helps control blood sugar. It’s great for your heart and can help lower cholesterol.
Cacao – Did you know that cacao is a superfood? It’s rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. It’s good for your heart. It may help fight cancer. It’s good for your skin. Cacao can help improve blood circulation, lower blood pressure, and decrease the risk of heart attack and stroke. It can help you lose weight and improve brain function. It may also elevate mood and help fight symptoms of depression.
Medjool Dates – Medjool dates contain delicious natural sugar, but they’re low in calories and high in healthy fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. They’re high in potassium, phosphorus, calcium, and magnesium. They also promote brain health and help control blood sugar.
Walnuts – Walnuts are rich in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids. They help decrease inflammation and aid in digestion. They may reduce the risk of certain cancers, including breast cancer. Walnuts help manage weight and blood pressure and lower the risk of developing type 2 Diabetes. They aid in brain function.
Bananas – Bananas help improve digestion, manage blood sugar, and aid in healthy weight loss. They’re full of antioxidants. They’re also good for your heart and kidneys.
You can enjoy this delicious dessert guilt free, because you’re doing your body good!
Tasty variations on this recipe:
- Not into dates? Try whipping up a chocolate “fudge” sauce by combining cacao powder with coconut oil and sweetener.
- Try mixing different nuts or dried fruit into the brownies.
- Add different fruits to the banana nice cream, or exclude the bananas for more of a fruity sorbet.
- Sprinkle berries, dried fruit, coconut flakes, or cacao nibs on top of your sundae.
If you’d like to know more about sprouting buckwheat groats, check out this page.
Raw Caramel Brownie Sundae
- 4 pitted dates
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 frozen banana
- Add ingredients, excluding dates and walnuts, to food processor and pulse until it's all combined into a flour consistency.
- Add about 3 dates, along with the wet ingredients, and process into a thick dough. Add more dates if necessary.
- Mix in walnuts and spread the dough onto a parchment sheet about 1/2 inch thick.
- Put it in the freezer to harden while you prepare the rest of the sundae.
- Soak about 4 pitted Medjool dates in filtered water for at least 30 minutes. The longer they soak, the easier they will be to blend.
- Add the soaked dates, about 6 tablespoons of the water, and about 1/4 teaspoon of salt to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Add more water if necessary.
- Blend a frozen banana in a high speed blender until smooth